Autumn Tasks in the Garden
… the time for tidying up and protecting
• Replace faded summerwith autumn planting. At the same time plant shrubs and hardy perennials.
• Give fertilizer to Mediterranean container plants, perennialand shrubs before winter dormancy or the shoots will not ripen.
• Move tender and half-hardy perennials into their winter quarters before the first frosts.
• At the same time protect hardy perennials and shrubs in containers from hard frosts.
• Cover the blooms of autumn-flowering perennials to protect them from night-frosts, for example with fleece.
• Now is the time to plant bulbs for next spring in pots, bowls or containers. They must spend the winter in a protected place, either covered with brushwood or buried under a layer of.
• Protect fruit plants from birds with netting.
• If the depth of water in your pond is less than 80 cm (32 in), over-winter any tender water plants such as waterlilies in a vessel filled with water and keep it in a cool, dark and frost-free place.
• This is the best time to plant clematis.
• In October or November dig upand canna tubers, clean them, wrap in newspaper and store in a cool, frost-free place for the winter.
• Take cuttings of scented pelargoniums and herbs such as rosemary, sage and lemon verbena well and root them in a tray of compost on the windowsill under foil.